Every year I make a list for my birthday. Then I try to cross off as many things as I can. I’m always surprised by how many I do achieve; often it’s the outliers and far fetched ones that end up miraculously manifesting. Others seem to show up again and again as works in progress. I’m never discouraged by the things I don’t finish, for I often find myself looking back on previous lists, and realize that though something maybe didn’t happen in a particular year–many do happen sooner or later.
There’s a chapter in my book about writing lists. I think there’s magic in the process. Listing for something makes it so much more likely to become real. And every year I’m reminded of this as I’ve had friends and strangers email me with opportunities to make items on my list come true.
38 Before 38
1. Submit a piece for publication
2. Attend another writing workshop
3. Write a strategy article for Medium
4. Get a facial
5. Go to a Timbers game.
7. Go back to Santa Rosa + write a story about it
8. Get outside for a walk or run at lunch everyday
9. Exchange massages with T often
10. Swim in the ocean
11. Go to Hawaii again
12. Do a daily creative project for a while.
13. Attend Tin House Summer Workshop craft talks
14. Go solo camping on the coast.
15. Go camping with the family on the coast
16. Watch: Charles Bukowski, Birdman, Under The Skin, Wild, Five Easy Pieces, Being There, Ida, How Do You Know, Somwhere, The Conversation, Roman Holiday, The Theory Of Everything, Force Majeure
17. 36 questions with my love. And oysters. And white wine. And also maybe dancing.
18. Spend the night in a fire look out at the top of a mountain with T
19. Make smart investments.
20. Attend gallery opening
21. Attend a Creative Morning PDX
22. Go to some drop-in figure drawing classes
24. Pick blackberries and bake a pie.
25. Do some summer dinner parties.
26. Go camping with my sister’s family.
27. Rent a house with my kindreds for a long weekend.
29. Paint at least one big canvass
30. Visit Seattle
31. Read as many books on this list as possible.
33. Work steadily and patiently on my next book.
34. Go for a soak at the Kennedy School
Learn a new craft or creative process. (Indigo + shabori)
37. Go to at least 5 live shows (so far:
Guster, The Helio Sequence, Capital Cities)
38. Save for a trip to Paris when I’m 40
37 Before 37
1. Strengthen my core
Visit as many museums as possible... 5, minimum.
Work slowly and steadily on producing pieces for publication. Let that work inform the slow and steady work of writing my second book.
ttend a writing conference.
Start swimming again.
Spend time on the Pacific ocean.
7. Morning writing.
Make time to read the Sunday Times in its entirety once a month.
10. Make a driftwood mobile with Bean + Sprout.
11. Write a love letter to each of my boys.
12. Make a sock elephant with Sprout.
Read at least 6 books this year.
14. Buy some new house plants.
15. Make + give away survival packs for the homeless.
16. Send pretty cards for no reason.
17. Finally watch The Godfather.
18. Go to the circus.
Attend a creative conference.
20. Get my financial life in order.
Find a mentor.
Be a mentor.
Set Bean up with an international pen pal.
24. Get a facial.
Use a standing desk.
26. Take a paragliding lesson.
Go on 12 super sexy dates with my guy. (Went on about half as many, but still.)
Spend some time out doors everyday.
29. Finally host an interview series on my blog.
30. Paint at least one of big canvasses I’ve had in my studio for years.
Get as close to 8 hours of sleep every night as possible.
Spend an evening star watching my guy this summer.
Have a picnic with friends.
34. Learn a new water sport: kayaking, paddle boarding, surfing.
Make ALL work I do be either writing, or as as a strategist.
Go bright blonde for a while.
37. Spend an afternoon on a sail boat.
36 Before 36
Buy a pair of turquoise tights (They ended up being grey + polka dotted, but still.
2. Receive a huge bouquet of ranunculus
3. Help someone harvest honey
4. Run 15 miles a week
Use reusable bags at the grocery store every time
7. Teach a creative workshop
Teach a writing class
9. Submit 5 pieces of writing
Nurture creative collaborations
11. Host a creative interview series on my blog
12. Host monthly dinner parties for friends
Cultivate habits that sustain my work
14. Spend more time on the Pacific
15. Spend a weekend in a cabin with just T
Save for the big things
Go camping with the boys this summer
18. Read a half dozen of the great American novels I never read in high school
Clean out closets and give away extraneous stuff
Let self care be a priority 21. Focus on the essentials: pair down, give away, simplify
23. Become conversant in French
Learn to fish-tail braid my hair
25. Get back in the pottery studio + throw some bowls
Take Bean to the Natural History Museum
Ride a carousel
29. Take a paragliding lesson
Go to bed earlier more often
31. Learn the Lindy Hop
Wear more stripes
33. Acquire a pair of cowboy boots
Night swimming in natural water
Read poems before bed daily
36. Go flyfishing.
35 Before 35
3. Learn to develop film in a dark room
8. Paint with encaustic
11. Write 5 short essays or stories
16. Hear Elizabeth Strout read her work
22. Yoga. Do more of it
26. Paint the rooster series
29. Paint the big canvases I’ve had in my studio for 3 years.
33. Throw a set of bowls on a potters wheel.
34 Before 34
1) 1) Snowboard blue squares.
Sign a book deal.
3) Go car camping this summer.
Host a fabulous 4th of July party for friends.
Use twitter’s list feature.
Log 500 miles on my bike this spring/summer.(Close: logged 439) .
7) Run with friends
8) Attract prosperity.
Make industry connections.
“500 Days Of Summer” and “Lars & The Real Girl.”
Make face to face visits with faraway friends happen.
Write more love letters to my boys.
13) Do another tiny art tag sale.
Be featured in Seven Days.
15) Make my father’s handwriting into a font.
16) Go ice skating.
17) Submit a magazine feature.
Croissants: from scratch. With chocolate filling.
Attend a creative conference or workshop.
20) 5 pull-ups.
Go to Quebec with just T.(Close: Went to Boston instead.)
22) Start learning French.
Leverage my creative capital.
25) Become an SEO ninja.
Make an awesome new workout mix.
Finish photo albums from 2009 + 2010.
Take pictures with my Holga + new Polaroid cameras.
Hike Smugglers Notch.
31) Paint the rooster series I have in my head.
Read a poem (ALMOST) every day.
Take a trip to the ocean.
33 Before 33
1) Launch & get funding for A Field Guide For Now.
Go to some local galleries.
Write some query letters.
4) Read/re-read every book on this list.
5) Plant berry bushes.
7). Finish A Field Guide To Now manuscript.
8) Hike Mt. Mansfield.
Go for a family bike ride.
Make a big deal out of friends & loved one’s birthdays.
11) Attend a writer’s conference.
Start the process of going back to school.
13) Make croissants from scratch.
Go to the Biodome in Montreal this summer.
Work on my abs.
Throw a garden party with pretty lights and fun drinks.
18.) Buy a vintage cake stand.
Wear dresses more.
Take risks with fashion.
Organize the basement.
22) Go mountain biking this summer.
Multiple streams of income.
Ride a train with the boys.
25) Go camping with friends.
Go to the local farmer’s market regularly.
27) Submit five short stories.
Buy a new bikini.
29) Build a greenhouse with recycled windows.
Complete some new canvases.
Become adept at Photoshop.
Go to a museum.
Remember: “What if there is no emergency?”
32 Before 32
. Read the New Yorker cover to cover often.
Learn to bake bread
Go berry picking.
Build Bean a treehouse.
Attend a writer’s conference
Submit some stories.
Stick with a regular writing routine.
Start keeping a Molskine notebook again.
9. Go to a drive-thru movie with DH this summer.
10. Bike the state of VT
Run a 5k
Frame & hang family photos in the hallway.
Take Bean fishing
Plant seed starts.
15. Keep a nature journal.
Go camping with the boys.
Roast marshmallows in the back yard by the fire with the boys.
Paint some big canvasses.
Teach Bean to swim.
Book manuscript: finish it.
Plant sunflowers and hollyhocks and zinnias.
22. Spend a weekend in Quebec in the summer.
Get a season ski pass and take on black diamonds.
Send paper mail more often.
ake the boys to the jazz festival.
26. Get back in the pottery studio.
Take Bean rock climbing.
See some classic movies.
29. Go dancing.
Learn to make pasta from scratch.
Make an organized submissions calendar.
Go to a concert.
Also check out my: Mighty Life List.